What is Integrative Nutrition?
Since launching my business I have been asked "What is Integrative Nutrition"? What is it exactly you offer as a Health Coach. I want to start by saying I chose Institute of Integrative Nutrition because of the core concepts that that sets them apart from other Nutrition Schools. I will highlight what these core concepts are and what they mean to you.
* Bio-individuality. This is the concept that no one diet or lifestyle works for everyone. People have their own unique needs and will have a way of eating and living that works best for them. Your perfect diet could make someone gain weight or feel lethargic, while someone else's morning run could leave your body feeling weak and depleted. In addition, your needs will likely change over time. Exactly what your doing now probably won't work in the same way as you and your life evolve. Some factors to consider are when seeing what works for your bio-individuality are lifestyle, occupation, geographic area, available resources, body type, age, culture, and religion.
* Primary Food - career, relationships, spirituality, physical activity, and other lifestyle factors plays an equal if not greater role in improving your overall health and wellness than what's on your plate. We need more than the nourishment of food. We need love, movement, stability, adventure, a higher purpose, and self expression in our lives to thrive. Health is not only about diet and exercise. You can eat a perfect diet and work out daily, but if you have a stressful job or are in a relationship that doesn't serve you, you won't reach your potential health and wellness.
* Heal yourself by yourself. The body is designed to heal and protect you from harm. The heart never misses a beat, the lungs never forget to breathe, and as soon as you get a cut, it starts to scab. You are programmed to be healthy when given the right building blocks.
* Fitting out. I know we have all heard of fitting in. Fitting out is being yourself. It's understanding how you might be different from others. It's understanding that you might be drinking green juice and your co-worker or friend might be drinking coffee. Or not eating meat while everyone in your family does. It's embracing and celebrating what makes you unique rather than trying to change and hide a part of yourself to fit in or be accepted.
* Post-Modern Nutrition. This is tuning into your bio-individuality and eating intuitively so that your body and mind can operate at your highest potential. Nutrition and growth are related; you can't look at one without the other.
Health is not a destination - it's a journey! While diets aim to provide quick results by changing your diet, lifestyle changes involving physical change, emotional, and mental well-being are more sustainable. As a Health Coach I work with my clients to approach their health as a form of self-care. By committing to a gradual introduction of basic changes and make your well-being a priority, you will experience a greater shift in your health for the better!!
I hope this helps you understand a little more about Integrative Nutrition and what I do!! Let me know how I can help you in your journey!!